Bone is an interesting tissue from the researchers view as it is able to regenerate after injury. However, even today and with an adequate treatment 5-20% of all fractured patients experience a delayed or non-union.
You are here:
Authors:Schlundt C, Reinke S, Geissler S, Bucher CH, Giannini C, Märdian S, Dahne M, Kleber C, Samans B, Baron U, Duda GN, Volk HD, Schmidt-Bleek K
There is increasing evidence that T lymphocytes play a key role in controlling endogenous regeneration. Regeneration Using adoptive TReg transfer, bone healing was consistently improved in mice possessing an inexperienced immune system with low amounts of CD8+ TEFF. In contrast, mice with an experienced immune system (high amounts of CD8+ TEFF) showed heterogeneous bone repair with regeneration being dependent upon the individual TEFF/TReg ratio. Thus, the healing outcome can only be improved by an adoptive TReg therapy, if an unfavorable TEFF/TReg ratio can be reshaped; if the individual CD8+ TEFF percentage, which is dependent on the individual immune experience can be changed toward a favorable ratio by the TReg transfer.
Journal:Front Immunol Year:2019; Volume:10
Authors:Bucher C, Schlundt C, Wulsten D, Sass F, Wendler S, Ellinghaus A, Thiele T, Seemann R, Willie B, Volk H, Duda G, Schmidt-Bleek K
Bone formation is substantially reduced in aged individual owing to the experience of the adaptive immunity. Thus, immune-aging in addition to chronological aging is a potential risk factor, with an experienced immune system being recognized as more pro-inflammatory. In metaphyseal bone, immune-aging affects bone homeostasis by impacting bone formation capacity and thereby influencing mass and microstructure of bone trabeculae leading to an overall reduced mechanical competence as found in bone torsional testing. Bone formation is impacted during bone regeneration in terms of a diminished healing capacity observed in young animals who have an experienced human immune system. Considering the immune system's experience level will likely allow a more effective differentiation (stratify) and treatment (immune-modulate) of patients .
Journal:Front Immunol Year:2019; Volume:10:Pages:797.
- Authors:Knecht RS, Bucher CH, Van Linthout S, Tschöpe C, Schmidt-Bleek K, Duda GN
Journal:Front Bioeng Biotechnol Year:2021; Volume:9
Title:Mechanobiological Principles Influence the Immune Response in Regeneration: Implications for Bone Healing
- Authors:Garbe A, Graef F, Appelt J, Schmidt-Bleek K, Jahn D, Lünnemann T, Tsitsilonis S, Seemann R
Journal:Int J Mol Sci Year:2020; Volume:21Issue:(23)
Title:Leptin Mediated Pathways Stabilize Posttraumatic Insulin and Osteocalcin Patterns after Long Bone Fracture and Concomitant Traumatic Brain Injury and Thus Influence Fracture Healing in a Combined Murine Trauma Model
- Authors:Berkmann JC, Herrera Martin AX, Pontremoli C, Zheng K, Bucher CH, Ellinghaus A, Boccaccini AR, Fiorilli S, Brovarone CV, Duda GN, Schmidt-Bleek K
Journal:Pharmaceutics Year:2020; Volume:12Issue:(9)
Title:In Vivo Validation of Spray-Dried Mesoporous Bioactive Glass Microspheres Acting as Prolonged Local Release Systems for BMP-2 to Support Bone Regeneration
- Authors:Boffito M, Torchio A, Tonda-Turo C, Laurano R, Gisbert-Garzarán M, Berkmann JC, Cassino C, Manzano M, Duda GN, Vallet-Regí M, Schmidt-Bleek K, Ciardelli G
Journal:Front Bioeng Biotechnol Year:2020; Volume:8:Pages:384.
Title:Hybrid Injectable Sol-Gel Systems Based on Thermo-Sensitive Polyurethane Hydrogels Carrying pH-Sensitive Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles for the Controlled and Triggered Release of Therapeutic Agents
- Authors:Eder CH, Schmidt-Bleek K, Geissler S, Sass FA, Maleitzke T, Pumberger M, Perka C, Duda GN, Winkler T
Journal:Mol Biol Rep Year:2020;
Title:Mesenchymal Stromal Cell and Bone Marrow Concentrate Therapies for Musculoskeletal Indications: A Concise Review of Current Literature
- Authors:Berkmann JC, Herrera Martin AX, Ellinghaus A, Schlundt C, Schell H, Lippens E, Duda GN, Tsitsilonis S, Schmidt-Bleek K
Journal:Int J Mol Sci Year:2020; Volume:21Issue:(7)
Title:Early pH Changes in Musculoskeletal Tissues upon Injury-Aerobic Catabolic Pathway Activity Linked to Inter-Individual Differences in Local pH
- Authors:Gisbert-Garzarán M, Berkmann JC, Giasafaki D, Lozano D, Spyrou K, Manzano M, Steriotis T, Duda GN, Schmidt-Bleek K, Charalambopoulou G, Vallet-Regí MJournal:ACS Appl Mater Interfaces Year:2020;
- Authors:Garske DS, Schmidt-Bleek K, Ellinghaus A, Dienelt A, Gu L, Mooney DJ, Duda G, Cipitria A
Journal:Tissue Eng Part A Year:2020;
Title:Alginate Hydrogels for In Vivo Bone Regeneration: The Immune Competence of the Animal Model Matters
- Authors:Stefanowski J, Lang A, Rauch A, Aulich L, Köhler M, Fiedler AF, Buttgereit F, Schmidt-Bleek K, Duda GN, Gaber T, Niesner RA Hauser AE1,2.
Journal:Front Immunol Year:2019; Volume:10
Title:Spatial Distribution of Macrophages During Callus Formation and Maturation Reveals Close Crosstalk Between Macrophages and Newly Forming Vessels
- Authors:Schlundt C, Reinke S, Geissler S, Bucher CH, Giannini C, Märdian S, Dahne M, Kleber C, Samans B, Baron U, Duda GN, Volk HD, Schmidt-Bleek KJournal:Front Immunol Year:2019; Volume:10