Bone is an interesting tissue from the researchers view as it is able to regenerate after injury. However, even today and with an adequate treatment 5-20% of all fractured patients experience a delayed or non-union.
You are here:
Authors:Schlundt C, Reinke S, Geissler S, Bucher CH, Giannini C, Märdian S, Dahne M, Kleber C, Samans B, Baron U, Duda GN, Volk HD, Schmidt-Bleek K
There is increasing evidence that T lymphocytes play a key role in controlling endogenous regeneration. Regeneration Using adoptive TReg transfer, bone healing was consistently improved in mice possessing an inexperienced immune system with low amounts of CD8+ TEFF. In contrast, mice with an experienced immune system (high amounts of CD8+ TEFF) showed heterogeneous bone repair with regeneration being dependent upon the individual TEFF/TReg ratio. Thus, the healing outcome can only be improved by an adoptive TReg therapy, if an unfavorable TEFF/TReg ratio can be reshaped; if the individual CD8+ TEFF percentage, which is dependent on the individual immune experience can be changed toward a favorable ratio by the TReg transfer.
Journal:Front Immunol Year:2019; Volume:10
Authors:Bucher C, Schlundt C, Wulsten D, Sass F, Wendler S, Ellinghaus A, Thiele T, Seemann R, Willie B, Volk H, Duda G, Schmidt-Bleek K
Bone formation is substantially reduced in aged individual owing to the experience of the adaptive immunity. Thus, immune-aging in addition to chronological aging is a potential risk factor, with an experienced immune system being recognized as more pro-inflammatory. In metaphyseal bone, immune-aging affects bone homeostasis by impacting bone formation capacity and thereby influencing mass and microstructure of bone trabeculae leading to an overall reduced mechanical competence as found in bone torsional testing. Bone formation is impacted during bone regeneration in terms of a diminished healing capacity observed in young animals who have an experienced human immune system. Considering the immune system's experience level will likely allow a more effective differentiation (stratify) and treatment (immune-modulate) of patients .
Journal:Front Immunol Year:2019; Volume:10:Pages:797.
- Authors:Prates Soares A, Fischer H, Orassi V, Heilnad M, Checa S, Schmidt-Bleek K, Rendenbach CJournal:Biomed Eng Online Year:2023; Volume:22Issue:(1)
- Authors:Garrido CA, Garske DS, Thiele M, Amini S, Real S, Duda GN, Schmidt-Bleek K, Cipitria AJournal:Biomater Adv Year:2023; Volume:151
- Authors:Prates Soares A, Fischer H, Aydin S, Steffen C, Schmidt-Bleek K, Rendenbach C
Journal:Front Physiol 2023 Year:2023; Volume:14
Title:Uncovering the unique characteristics of the mandible to improve clinical approaches to mandibular regeneration
- Authors:Hochmann S, Ou K, Poupardin R, Mittermeir M, Textor M, Ali S, Wolf M, Ellinghaus A, Jacobi D, Elmiger JAJ, Donsante S, Riminucci M, Schäfer R, Kornak U, Klein O, Schallmoser K, Schmidt-Bleek K, Duda GN, Polansky JK, Geissler S, Strunk DJournal:Sci Transl Med Year:2023; Volume:15Issue:(688)
- Authors:Burkhardt L, Bucher CH, Löffler J, Rinne C, Duda GN, Geissler S, Schulz TJ, Schmidt-Bleek KJournal:Front Cell Dev Biol Year:2023; Volume:11
- Authors:Malhan D, Schmidt-Bleek K, Duda GN, El Khassawna T
Journal:Int J Mol Sci Year:2023; Volume:24Issue:(4)
Title:Landscape of Well-Coordinated Fracture Healing in a Mouse Model Using Molecular and Cellular Analysis
- Authors:Duda GN, Geissler S, Checa S, Tsitsilonis S, Petersen A, Schmidt-Bleek KJournal:Nat Rev Rheumatol Year:2023; Volume:19Issue:(2):Pages:78-95.
- Authors:Kopp A, Fischer H, Prates Soares A, Schmidt-Bleek K, Leber CH, Kreiker H, Duda G, Kröger N, van Gaalen K, Hanken H,
Jung O , Smeets R , Heiland M, Rendenbach C
Journal:Acta Biomater Year:2023; Volume:157:Pages:720-733.
Title:Long-term in vivo observations show biocompatibility and performance of ZX00 magnesium screws surface-modified by plasma-electrolytic oxidation in Göttingen miniature pigs
- Authors:Malysch T, Reinhold JM, Becker CA, Schmidt-Bleek K, Kleber CJournal:Immunol Res Year:2022; Volume:71Issue:(2):Pages:164-172.
- Authors:Bucher CH, Berkmann JC, Burkhardt LM, Paschke C, Schlundt C, Lang A, Wolter A, Damerau A, Geissler S, Volk HD, Duda GN, Schmidt-Bleek K
Journal:Exp Mol Med Year:2022; Volume:54Issue:(8):Pages:1262-1276.
Title:Local immune cell contributions to fracture healing in aged individuals - A novel role for interleukin 22