Joint Loading & Musculoskeletal Analysis
The loads acting in joint prostheses and other orthopaedic implants is still partially unknown. The acting loads are required for different purposes.
You are here:
Knee joint replacement
Despite the unquestionable improvements and the success of total knee arthroplasty (TKA) over the last decades, a substantial number of patients remain unsatisfied with the outcome. Over 20% of patients report persisting knee pain without distinct radiological evidence or clinical rationale. It remains under debate if altered physiological knee kinematics developed after TKA are specifically responsible for this dissatisfaction. Additionally, the patients’ desire to return to activities of daily living and participation in sports make TKA implant optimization necessary. By using analyzes and models, we want to help enabling patients to live a normal life.
In order to provide valuable information to surgeons and implant manufacturers about the postoperative performance of TKA implants, single plane fluoroscopy analysis is conducted during unloaded and loaded knee flexion activities. This technique accurately quantifies 3D knee joint kinematics and allows clear insight into the behavior of the analyzed implant. Gait analysis is also conducted to give an overview of the knee joint kinematics during daily activities (compare ‘Functional Adaptation’).
Moreover, the information collected from this analysis, when combined with specific in vivo load data and geometrical characteristics can be used as inputs for finite element (FE) analysis. This multi-pronged analysis allows for in-depth assessments of implant performance before implementation in the market.
1: fluoroskopische Labormessung (Moewis et al.) 2: fluoroskopische Darstellung eines Knieimplantates (Moewis et al.) 3: kinematische Analyse nach Knietotalendoprothese (Moewis et al.)
- Authors:Kneifel P, Moewis P, Damm P, Schütz P, Dymke J, Taylor WR, Duda GN, Trepczynski AJournal:J Biomech Year:2023; Volume:151
- Authors:Oehme S, Moewis P, Boeth H, Bartek B, Lippert A, von Tycowicz C, Ehrig R, Duda GN, Jung T
Journal:Sci Rep Year:2022; Volume:12Issue:(1)
Title:PCL insufficient patients with increased translational and rotational passive knee joint laxity have no increased range of anterior-posterior and rotational tibiofemoral motion during level walking
- Authors:Dreyer MJ, Trepczynski A, Hosseini Nasab SH, Kutzner I, Schütz P, Weisse B, Dymke J, Postolka B, Moewis P, Bergmann G, Duda GN, Taylor WR, Damm P, Smith CR
Journal:J Biomech Year:2022; Volume:141
Title:European Society of Biomechanics S.M. Perren Award 2022: Standardized tibio-femoral implant loads and kinematics
- Authors:Trepczynski A, Moewis P, Damm P, Schütz P, Dymke J, Hommel H, Taylor WR, Duda GN
Journal:Front Bioeng Biotechnol Year:2021; Volume:9
Title:Dynamic Knee Joint Line Orientation Is Not Predictive of Tibio-Femoral Load Distribution During Walking
- Authors:Moewis P, Kaiser R, Trepczynski A, von Tycowicz C, Krahl L, Ilg A, Holz J, Duda GN
Journal:Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc Year:2021; Volume:31Issue:(4):Pages:1247-1266.
Title:Patient-specific resurfacing implant knee surgery in subjects with early osteoarthritis results in medial pivot and lateral femoral rollback during flexion: a retrospective pilot study
- Authors:Moewis PH, Duda GN, Trepczynski A, Krahl L, Boese CHK, Hommel H
Journal:J Bone Joint Surg Am Year:2020; Volume:103Issue:(2):Pages:146-154.
Title:Retention of Posterior Cruciate Ligament Alone May Not Achieve Physiological Knee Joint Kinematics After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Retrospective Study
- Authors:Moewis P, Hommel H, Trepczynski A, Krahl L, von Roth P, Duda GNJournal:Sci Rep Year:2019; Volume:9Issue:(1):Pages:9148.
- Authors:Trepczynski A, Kutzner I, Schutz P, Dymke J, List R, von Roth P, Moewis P, Bergmann G, Taylor WR, Duda GN
Journal:Sci Rep Year:2019; Volume:9Issue:(1):Pages:182.
Title:Tibio-Femoral Contact Force Distribution is Not the Only Factor Governing Pivot Location after Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Authors:Moewis P, Checa S, Kutzner I, Hommel H, Duda GN
Journal:PLoS One Year:2018; Volume:13Issue:(2):Pages:e0192225.
Title:Physiological joint line total knee arthroplasty designs are especially sensitive to rotational placement - A finite element analysis
- Authors:Pfitzner T, Moewis P, Stein P, Boeth H, Trepczynski A, von Roth P, Duda GN
Journal:Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc Year:2018; Volume:26Issue:(6):Pages:1645-1655.
Title:Modifications of femoral component design in multi-radius total knee arthroplasty lead to higher lateral posterior femoro-tibial translation